Sunday, February 8, 2009

Traveling removes me from the little world of my routine and reminds me of the bigger picture of my life and the lives of others.

I took a trip to a poor little town in the country side. We took a combi, which is an old Toyota style mini van like the one I used to drive when I was sixteen. But they have added another row of seats, and the average combi carries well over twenty people, not including babes in arms and small children.
The ride was hot and uncomfortable. I went with a group of singles from the ward. We were going to Israel´s house in the country. I was crammed behind the front passenger seat on the engine cover. I traveled this was for over an hour, and when we got to the country side it was kind of ugly, and the sun was burning. I sat in a hammock in the shade, which was nice, but one of the trees was covered with big red ants and swarming wasps. I was afraid, but they never bit or stung me. After a few minutes I realized there wasn´t much to do on this dirty little farm, so when the opportunity came to go into town I jumped on it.

We ended up in a little market with locals selling their goods. Some of these people live so humbly. They have so little. I took a picture of a boy carrying a bag of lemons, and the woman next to me said, "NiƱo trabajador." I told him to stay in school and study a lot. At least, I think that´s what I told him.


An old guy tried to sell me pineapple juice; I told him I didn´t want any, and then we talked for a bit. He asked which country I was from and told me his father was Japanese and that he had family over there. While doing so he poured me a glass of juice for free. It was cold and delicious. Afterwords I tried to give him cincuenta centimos but he refused. I said, "Soy un americano rico." He smiled and acquiesced.


The vendors were excited to pose with their goods.

A sweet lady selling flowers and fruit



This guy kept following me around as I was taking pictures. I thought he was going to steal my camera, but it turns out he only wanted me to take a picture of him and his lady.

I ate one of these chickens.



I´m a trooper when it comes to eating the local cuisine, but I couldn´t swallow ceviche made from this fish. At lunch with the group, I asked the girl sitting next to me if she wanted my ceviche because she didn´t have any, and she said, "No." She didn´t like it either.


The poultry man: He was so proud.


The butcher shop


The Butcher


His cleaver


Outside the market: Look at this gangly fellow. It´s no wonder people stare.
We went back to the country side, and Israel´s mom prepared lunch for us with the food we bought at the market.

Israel´s mom next to her wood burning stove

The kitchen and dining room

Israel´s brother


Israel´s mom making sebada

Outside the kitchen

He´s showing me the sheep.


In the end, I got to kiss some locals.That´s always fun.

4 comments:

  1. You're right, this is fantastic. Would you like me to send you a hat. I think you need to wear a hat when your in that sun. Bennett just out grew one that would probably fit you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that kind of makes you feel like you are a millionaire, I bet you are having a lot of neat experiences. Good Luck to you. You better take Markey up on that Hat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. come on if u eat sushi you could do caballa ceviche!!! atte cinthya!!! its totally my favorite! even las cochitas...i miss them so much

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank u so much for sending me a pictures i was in shock ! i still in shock!
    hope we can talk in the phone before u leave peru so u can bring me some stuff ill be sending u money !.....well let me know when u coming back

    ReplyDelete